Want a batch of scones on your table in less than 30 minutes? Saggezza UK’s Head of Operations, Lucy Harber, reveals her British classic recipe to quickly impress your family and friends – butter scones with jam and clotted cream. This recipe serves eight people, but can be doubled or halved.
350 g OR 2 ¾ cups self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85 g OR ⅜ cup butter / ghee, cut into cubes
3 tbsp caster, cane or white sugar
175 ml OR ¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Beaten egg, to glaze
Jam and clotted cream, to serve
Watch the recipe video HERE.
- Heat oven to 220 Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit. Place a baking sheet inside the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, mix your flour, salt and baking powder. Once combined, rub in your butter cubes with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in your sugar.
- Pour milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- In the dry mix, create a “well”, or deep circle in the center to add your liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife. It will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour onto a work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2 – 3 times until it is a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4 cm deep.
- Take a baking circle cutter and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four to six scones. Continue to reshape the dough to make more scones.
- Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray. Bake for 10 – 12 min until risen and golden on the top.
- Generously top with jam; strawberry, blueberry or whatever you have on hand. Top with clotted cream; other options include Cool Whip or whisking a chilled heavy whipping cream for 5 minutes. (If freezing for later, defrost the scones and then put in a 160 Celsius or 300 Fahrenheit oven for a few minutes to refresh).
Saggezza is a proven technology and consulting partner that delivers personalized, high-value solutions to accelerate business growth.